Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer experience? The Ottawa Basketeers have been donating start-up baskets to Nelson House residents for many, many years! These baskets are full of all the things you would need to set up a new home…..from toasters to towels, dishes, glasses, pots and so much more! The Ottawa Basketeers are looking for men and women who would like to join the Basketeers and get involved in this worthy cause. Check out their website for more information.
OTTAWA, ONTARIO, April 7, 2017 — The governments of Canada and Ontario announced funding for Nelson House, a women’s shelter serving the Ottawa community since 1992. This funding will allow the agency to construct a new shelter that will include 20 beds to provide continued support and improved services to women and children who are survivors of domestic violence.
Anita Vandenbeld, Member of Parliament for Ottawa West – Nepean, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with the Honourable Dr. Helena Jaczek, Ontario’s Minister of Community and Social Services, made the announcement.
- The governments of Canada and Ontario contributed $5.3 million to Nelson House.
- Nelson House serves approximately 120 women and children each year.
- The existing 15-bed Nelson House shelter will be replaced with a new, 10,000 square foot, 20-bed facility that is accessible and provides a private, quiet and supportive space for women and their children.
- The new facility will be more than twice the size of the existing facility and allow for activities, meetings, and improved and expanded on-site services.
- These additional beds in the City of Ottawa will result in fewer women and children having to access less than ideal arrangements when shelters like Nelson House are at capacity.
- Construction is expected to begin in June 2017 and completed in July 2018.
Thank you to the Dentists and Staff at Ottawa West Dental for their care and support for the residents at Nelson House. Your kindness and generosity is greatly appreciated!
Dr. Viv Chander, Dr. Jennifer Charbonneau, Dr. Shawna Horrigan, Dr. Hannah Kashyap
All the rest of the team: Linda Dion (Practise Manager), Mariel Cerezo, Brenley Gillanders, Emily Lecuyer, Jackie Geneta-freeman, Kasia Kubik, Teresita Kelly, Corina Kolkowski, Stephanie Baker.