- $25 gift cards – Walmart, Giant Tiger, Food Basics, etc.
- Diapers – Size 5 & 6
- Baby wipes
- Towels – any size new or used
- $5 gift cards for TIMS
- Laundry soap (any kind) & dryer sheets
- Blankets – any size new or used
- Paper towel
- Tin foil, plastic wrap, sandwich bags
- Shampoo, Shower gel, lotion
- Liquid hand soap
WOW! It’s that time of year again to put up the Christmas tree and show extra love to those in need.
This year Nelson House is looking for donations of the following items (new only please) to support the 8 women and 8 children who will be living at Nelson House during the Christmas season;
- Grocery Gift card – Food Basics, Walmart, Independent, Giant Tiger, Tim Hortons etc
- Crock Pots
- Pots and Pan Set
- Dish Sets
- Kettle/Coffee Maker
- Pajamas Sizes Women’s Small-X Large
- Slippers Size Women’s 6-12
- Stockings and Stuffers
- Gift Cards for Teens; Bayshore Mall, Best Buy, Michaels, Rideau Centre, etc
- Pajamas Size 7-Mens/Women’s Medium
- Toys for Age 3 mons-1 year and 12-17 years
- Children’s Slippers
- Stockings and Stuffers
Over the Christmas holidays, we will also be supporting 13 women who have transitioned out of the shelter this year into independent living with gifts and grocery gift cards.
Other ways you can help;
Sponsor our Shelter Christmas Meal eg: provide the items for the Christmas meal (Halal Turkey, potatoes, stuffing, vegetables, gravy, pies etc or an Independent Grocery gift card for Nelson House to purchase the items.
Sponsor our stocking program; eg provide a stocking for each individual living in the shelter filled with Christmas goodies.
Please call or email Linda at Nelson House, 613-225-0533 or firstname.lastname@example.org, to find out how you can help
Tax receipts available for cash donations upon request
A great big thank you to Brian Sukkau, Mary Lindsay, Theresa Seguin and everyone at Royal Lepage Team Realty for their generous and ongoing support for Nelson House.
Thank you to Mark Schultz and Laurie Kepron (2nd from right) from the National Hockey League who presented our staff with a whopping $10,000 worth of Canadian Tire Gift cards just in time for the holidays! This incredibly generous donation will go a long way toward helping our residents now and throughout the year.
Thank you to McDonald Bros Construction Inc for their very generous donation of over $5000.00 to Nelson House. Your generousity is greatly appreciated and will help us to continue our work to end violence against women.
Thank you to Jeff Kelly and all the staff and customers of Shoppers Drug Mart in Barrhaven for your generousity and continued support for Nelson House. Your donation this holiday season will bring a lot of cheer to our residents, past and present!
Are you looking for a rewarding volunteer experience? The Ottawa Basketeers have been donating start-up baskets to Nelson House residents for many, many years! These baskets are full of all the things you would need to set up a new home…..from toasters to towels, dishes, glasses, pots and so much more! The Ottawa Basketeers are looking for men and women who would like to join the Basketeers and get involved in this worthy cause. Check out their website for more information.
OTTAWA, ONTARIO, April 7, 2017 — The governments of Canada and Ontario announced funding for Nelson House, a women’s shelter serving the Ottawa community since 1992. This funding will allow the agency to construct a new shelter that will include 20 beds to provide continued support and improved services to women and children who are survivors of domestic violence.
Anita Vandenbeld, Member of Parliament for Ottawa West – Nepean, on behalf of the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development and Minister Responsible for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), along with the Honourable Dr. Helena Jaczek, Ontario’s Minister of Community and Social Services, made the announcement.
- The governments of Canada and Ontario contributed $5.3 million to Nelson House.
- Nelson House serves approximately 120 women and children each year.
- The existing 15-bed Nelson House shelter will be replaced with a new, 10,000 square foot, 20-bed facility that is accessible and provides a private, quiet and supportive space for women and their children.
- The new facility will be more than twice the size of the existing facility and allow for activities, meetings, and improved and expanded on-site services.
- These additional beds in the City of Ottawa will result in fewer women and children having to access less than ideal arrangements when shelters like Nelson House are at capacity.
- Construction is expected to begin in June 2017 and completed in July 2018.
Thank-you to Emily Weingartner, Kenzie Stufko, Erik Fitzgerald, Emily Harper, Taylor Williamson, Justine Agbana for raising over four thousand dollars for Nelson House at the Under the Sea Gala on April 8th!